Selection of the microphone type
The three recommended microphone types are:
- CCM 2 compact microphone omni-directional (or CMC 1 L + MK 2)
- CCM 21 compact microphone wide cardioid (or CMC 1 L + MK 21)
- CCM 4 compact microphone cardioid (or CMC 1 L + MK 4)
These types lead to different results and properties of the system. Therefore, the sound engineer should choose wisely.
The omni is the usual microphone for recording with a parabolic dish. This type of microphone causes fewer problems with handling noise and wind noise. The directivity is good and the recording of very low frequencies is possible - although without directivity - but at a good level. This can be an advantage if low-frequency ambience is desired. The frequency response is not so smooth compared to a cardioid due to the high level of the signal on the unwanted direct path between source and microphone.
The wide cardioid is a good compromise between the advantages and disadvantages of omni and cardioid. Wind and handling noise are a little more damped compared to the cardioid and the directivity is higher than when using an omni.
The cardioid achieves the best directivity and the smoothest frequency response (due to the highest suppression of the direct path between source and microphone). However, there can be handling noise when the dish can not be kept still.
It is important that all CCM microphones are mounted with their 0° direction pointing towards the dish!
Setup and transport
Transport of the system is very easy because the dish can easily be folded without disassembly of the components. If the entire system is disassembled, the dish can be rolled up in the optionally available soft case and brought to a minimum pack size. For the remaining accessories a Pelicase is optionally available.
The CCM microphone can be easily changed. Furthermore, an XLR output in the handle also allows the system to be connected to a standard microphone cable.
For details about the setup of the system and the positioning of the microphone, please refer to the manual in the download area below.
Further information on the components can also be found on the website of Telinga.
Set No. 163201/02/03 includes:
- No. 221015/03/01: microphone CCM 4/21/2 incl. premium box, SGC clamp, K 5 LU: 5 m adapter cable Lemo --> XLR
- Alternative: No. 232012 CMC 1 L + No. 231015 MK 4/No. 231003 MK 21/No. 231002 MK 2)
- No. 163101: Par-1 kit incl. :
- Parabolic dish 22inch foldable, transparent
- Handle including the fixed microphone cable
- Microphone holder with Rycote windshield incl. mounting kit (gray tube, gray&black ring)
- Rycote fake-fur Windjammer
Further accessories are optionallly available, see also http://www.telinga.com/products/accessories/
- No. 163901: Soft Case to carry the folded dish
- No. 163902: Tripod Mount
- No. 163903: Rycote High Wind Cover, black (also available in green on request)
- No. 163904: Peli hard case 1400 for unmounted dish accessories