The free plugin equalizes the signal of the SCHOEPS Parabolic Dish Set. The following application parameters influence the filter curve:
- "Microphone": Selection of the microphone type. So far, only the cardioid (CCM 4) is implemented in the plug-in, the other two types follow soon: CCM 2 (omni) and CCM 21 (wide cardioid). The type of microphone has a large influence on both the level and the frequency response of the direct signal from the source as well as the level of the signals which come from different directions.
- "Wind cover": Selection of the windshield used. The windshield influences the attenuation of high frequencies.
- "Low Cut": Activates a low-cut filter to remove low-frequency noise.
- "Distance": Selection of the recording distance. At large distances high frequencies are boosted and lower frequencies attenuated.
- "Aim Inaccuracy": Here you set how precise you aim at the source. Since the parabolic dish is extremely directive at high frequencies, a few degrees of deviation decide on the possible degree of equalization.
- "Diffuse / Free Field": It is crucial what role the ambient sound plays in your recording. If it is very quiet at the recording location ("Pure Free field"), then the equalization filter can work very aggressively. If the diffuse signal has a high level at the recording location ("Pure Diffuse Field"), the equalization filter has to be weaker because otherwise it will distort the diffuse signal in an unnatural way.
The plug-in is still in beta mode. So far, only the filter curve for the microphone CCM 4 is available - other types of microphone will follow soon. Please let us know feature requests.